Thursday, March 13, 2008

This Guy Fires People Who Don't Like Their Jobs

By Matt:

This post by Jason Calacanis created quite a stir a few days ago when he quipped, "Fire people who are not workaholics... go work at Starbucks if you want balance in your life."

After a buzz of comments and debate he actually modified that line in his post, but wow, quite a bold statement. I like my job, but I'm not a workaholic, and I certainly appreciate balance in my life. I wasn't sure where this guy was heading, but the outset didn't feel good... but you know what, once I read the whole post, I'm kind of a fan!

First of all, Calacanis is speaking primarily about running a startup company, and you need to have some pretty driven and dedicated people to manage a startup. Secondly, his post is largely about keeping your employees happy and motivated (though I concede there are some undertones of keeping employees at work longer hours).

Nonetheless, you should check this out. Calacanis suggests things like buying Macs for all your employees, buying them lunch four times a week, and unlimited free soda. Heck, can't complain with that. Pass these suggestions onto your HR team an see if you can make any progress. *wink*.

How To Save Money Running A Startup (17 Really Good Tips)


No comments: